Where's your head at?

Project based learning, thinking on learning and amazing Art projects

The Future Thinking Project

| 0 comments

The final project, ‘Future Thinking’ gets students to consider their own futures; where they are right now and how they will need to adapt to get to where they want to go. We use Daniel Pink’s ‘Whats My Sentence?’ idea to help students focus their minds.

Now.. We have to remember that these students are only in Year 8 and many students really don’t have a clear picture of what they would like their futures will be. But if you ask any student, do they want to be successful? Then of course the answer would be yes. And this is the starting point. Their definition of success is crucial to the development of this project. Today, I asked the whole year group what success meant to them. Ok, so one student said lots of money, but the responses were really encouraging. ‘Being happy’, ‘Working on something I find really hard and making progress’, ‘Being the best that I can be.’

Students then went on to question each other with a wide range of provided searching questions, to build a picture of another students dreams, realities, passions, strengths and weaknesses. From the information they acquire, they have to distill that information to create a sentence, or short paragraph which they feel sums up their lives right now. A fascinating and rich experience. I will post some of the responses soon.

At the end of this unit, students will be going to a short formal interview with a senior member of staff. They will be asked 3 challenging questions which they might face in a typical job interview which they must try to answer as effectively as possible. They will have to use their understanding of the PLT’s we have been developing in Pebble to add gravity to their answers.  There responses will be graded along with there general demeanour. More about this later.

Author: Pete Jones

I am primarily an Art teacher, but over the past 5 years have been co-developing an experienced-based learning programme in the school I work in called Pebble, (short for Project Based Learning). I read extensively on learning and education, and I intend to use this blog to record what is going on in my head as well as in the classroom. Hopefully I will be able to share resources and ideas with like-minded thinkers in the future. The Pebble course runs through the whole of Year 8 for 5 periods a week. I am desperate for our world wide education system to catch up with the way we live our lives. Transformation of what we learn in schools and how we learn in schools is desperately overdue. Pebble is a skills centered curriculum with the focus very much on what students need to be successful learners, giving them valuable, deep learning experiences to boot.